Wednesday, September 12, 2012

And All The Fixin's

Yesterday I went home and napped.  Oops.  I ended up waking at 7:45, pussy footed around dinner plans because Ryan wasn't that hungry and I was starving, so I had a packet of instant oats (because I'm daring like that) and was fine and less irritable for more thinking about dinner.  We can't do meal plans and all that stuff because Ryan is an emotional eater.  He likes to enjoy his food and likes to eat what he craves.  I personally DO. NOT. CARE.  Seriously, I just need food...fuel.  I don't care what it is as long as it doesn't taste awful...it doesn't even have to be good, just not awful.  

After throwing around steak with whatever and possibly fajitas, I threw out chicken and dumplings because we had Cracker Barrel the other night and we had lots of chicken in the fridge and it's been a comfort food kind of week.  This immediately hit home with Ryan so we talked about his Grandma.  We get distracted easily and I wasn't starving anymore (oatmeal!) so I wasn't all cranky and was more willing to talk :)

At first, the thought of making chicken and dumplings scared me because he is picky.  He won't admit it, but he is.  Also, his grandma is under hospice care reaching her last days with us so trying to tackle something as nostalgic and sacred as grandma's chicken and dumplings is a terrifying thing to do!  I didn't know if he'd have a break down (because he's been really calm about her illness so far) or...I just didn't know, because like I said...he's emotional and dramatic.  Like, I'm pretty sure I wear the pants in our house.  At the mention of Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings, he brought up their biscuits, so I tried not one, but two "copy cat" recipes.  This should have been a disaster!

At the end of it, my kitchen looked like a tornado hit it and dinner was served.  He took a bite, thought for a second, took another bite, and started shoveling food into his mouth.  He loved it!  He was extremely enthusiastic and in disbelief (as was I).  I'm not a bit biscuit fan, but THESE biscuits tasted just like the restaurant biscuits...perfectly crisp on the outside, and soft and doughy on the inside.  SO GOOD.   And the chicken and dumplings were a huge hit.  I've had a few flops recently in the kitchen (our oven is finicky) and I was afraid this would be another one, but they were so good he called our friends and invited them over tonight for leftovers since there was so much food!...just like Cracker Barrel ;)  I still can't get over it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment