Monday, August 20, 2012

Wishing it Was Still the Weekend

This weekend didn't fly by necessarily.  I was just ill prepared, mentally, to start this week.  I did pretty good, though, considering I managed to get up and squeeze in a very short workout (a whopping five minutes).  I did my initial testing for the pushup/situp/squat sites this morning.

http://hundredpushups.com/
http://www.twohundredsitups.com/
http://www.twohundredsquats.com/

Does anyone have experience with these?  I know of one, maybe two people, who followed through.  It seems easy enough...not that it won't be hard work, but the progression makes sense.

Today's initial values were as follows:
Pushups: 8 (SO SAD)
Situps: Crunches, really, according to the site, 50
Squats: 40

Turbo Fire has made my legs machines as far as squats go.  Squats and situps started me at week 3.  I downloaded the apps on my iPod for each respective program.  I'm excited and hope to stick with it.  I need to try to make daily posts...LoseIt screenshots, maybe.

We had a family reunion this weekend for my dad's side of the family.  I used to dread them growing up, but now I look forward to them every year.  I wish I were closer to my other cousins, but there is quite a bit of an age difference so we never just got to hang out.  It makes me sad, but I understand that most people aren't super close to extended family with large age differences at younger ages.  My older cousin has two boys, the oldest being 16 and it would have been awkward being close to her with such a large range, but now that I'm older, I can relate to her better and we're growing quite a bond even though she lives halfway across the country from me.

I've got a birthday coming up next month.  I think I'm going to get the Fitbit Ultra.  I'm super excited, but does anyone have experience with it?  I know I need to check the stats on my eMac at home because it's OLD and I want to make sure it's compatible.  But, how does the calorie burn work?  I mean, I know it doesn't have a heart rate monitor built in so how does it figure calories burned when you're just sitting?  I'm assuming it's based on information you enter (age, height, etc) when you set it up.

I'm also hoping to get some new pants.  I bought some thinking they fit, but it turns out they're horribly large on me when I wear them a few hours and they stretch.  I didn't think this type of material stretched like that, but now I know :/

Today I tried eating smaller, 300 calorie (give or take) meals every few hours.  I'm ridiculously full right now.  First breakfast (because both of my first two meals were "breakfast" foods") was veggie sausage with eggs, onions, and mushrooms.  2.5 hrs later was oatmeal.  Lunch was a taco salad.  Snack was a homemade granola bar and peach.  Somehow my first breakfast and granola snack was only 200 or so calories, so I have some play calories for dinner! :)

Something I noticed about calorie counts when preparing food.  Oatmeal consisted of 1/3 c oats, 1/2 banana, 1/4 c 2% milk, water to top, and 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds.  Before reading food blogs, I would have thrown in the whole 1/2 c serving and just accepted that as the number of calories for breakfast.  I never thought about NOT eating a whole portion to keep my calories where I want.  I only had 100 calories of oats instead of 150.  And I didn't really notice the difference in volume.  So simple!  Portion guides are great, but for me it was "don't eat more than that" not "it's okay to eat less than that".  This was a big revelation for me :D

I hope you guys have a lovely Monday!  Will try to have more structure and consistency in posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment