Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Homemade Update

I recently told you guys about my homemade endeavors and how they were going at the time.  I think it's time for an update!

I found a liquid laundry detergent that I am loving!  It has vinegar built into it as a softener.  I can't tell if it really makes a huge difference, but I've not had to use added softener or anything so I assume it does just fine.  If you're diligent you can add vinegar separately as a softener.  I'm too lazy for that.

Deodorant didn't go so well.  I've had to change it up so many times that I've given up for the time being.  The basic recipe called for baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil.  You can optionally add some essential oil so I added lavender.  I had a horrible, painful reaction to the concoction.  It turned my sad pits into an open, sore, raw, rash of splendor.  It was awful.  And painful.  So painful.  To help clear it up I put baby powder in a sock and pat it under my arms at every possible moment, including all three breaks at work and an extra pee breaks I had to take (because my bladder doesn't like to cooperate and go at designated break times).

I cut out the lavender first, thinking that perhaps it was irritating my skin as lavender oil is a known skin irritant of sorts.  After the rash cleared up, I used the baking soda and coconut oil, unscented.  Out came another rash.  My friend suggested that the baking soda could be irritating, and recommended increasing the coconut oil ratio.  I let the rash clear up, used the increased oil mix, and still got another rash.  I diluted it even more, and not only was the further dilution still causing rashes, but it was no longer effective as a deodorant.  FAIL.

I rattled my friend's brain for another idea and she said that perhaps it was a yeast infection of sorts due to the corn starch in the mix.  I thought that was brilliant!  Until I realized that that baby powder I used to heal the rash was corn starch based, not talc.  So I'm at a loss.  Maybe I should try cornstarch, and no baking soda with the oil.  Maybe I should try arrowroot.  Maybe I'm just going to not worry about it for now.  I should also note that all natural deodorants are horrible expensive and last time I bought one I had irritation problems so I'm hesitant the take that route.

I have continued to make homemade loaf bread.  We haven't bought commercial bread almost a month now.  It's been lovely!  My aunt recently gave me a sourdough starter that I used to cook a couple of loaves this morning.  Delicious!  I am definitely going to keep this trend going.  Ryan asked for pumpernickel yesterday so I may make some when these other loaves disappear.

Automatic dishwasher detergent was a bust.  Then I successfully fixed it.  The original recipe called for borax, washing soda, citric acid, and salt.  It clumped.  Every time I used it, I would have to stab it several times with a knife or fork before I could pour it out.  I was extremely careful to not get the powder wet, thinking moisture was causing it to harden, but it was no use.  I looked up another "recipe" online and someone simply used borax and washing soda so I tried it.  There was no clumping and the dishes were just as clean...maybe more clean.  Our dishwasher has never washed glassware too well so I still wash my drinking glasses by hand, but aside from that I'm pleased!

Baking soda and conditioner to wash my hair is still effective, but my hair is starting to dry out.  I'm not sure if it's the baking soda or the weather.  It may be split ends ;)

Next step!  While I want to love Dawn dish soap, the truth of the matter is that it can't continue its existence in my house.  Yes, I know it's what they claim to use to clean the animals after an oil spill.  Yes, I know they donate money to animals causes.  BUT they test on animals AND continue to sell us products with really harmful chemicals.  Would you really expect anything less from Proctor & Gamble?  I've been shaking the same borax/washing soda mix onto a sponge for cleaning and I find it to be just as, or more, effective than Dawn so I will continue to use that for now.

I'm off the grocery store!  We're having our moms over as a late Mother's Day cook out and to give Sharon a chance to see everyone while she's here.

Happy Saturday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about your skin issues. It really does seem like the baking soda was the culprit all along. Some people just have sensitivities to it. :( It's hard to find things that work as "well" as conventional brands, because they were manufactured in such a way to be an improvement on the prior products... I think if those things had never been invented (i.e. sulfates) no one would be the wiser.
    As for your hair--get a trim, and then do an apple cider vinegar rinse. See if that helps. Mine is drying out a lot, too, so it probably is the weather.

    ReplyDelete